Our History

Pontarddulais Rugby Club was officially formed on 22nd September 1881. There is little doubt that the game of rugby had been played in the Pontarddulais district for some time prior to 1881, but it was on that momentous date that the inhabitants of the area gave the game official status in a public meeting held for that specific purpose.

Before the end of the first decade of it's life, Pontarddulais RFC became one of the leading rugby teams in West Wales.

Their headquarters was now at the Black Horse Hotel and their officials were DT Davies (Secretary) and WP Price (Treasurer). The officials were backed up by a strong committee comprised of; Evan Evans, H. Benson, T. Williams, JR Peters, Levi Rees, Dan Jones, Tom Lewis, TG Mainwaring, Morgan Jones, Eli Woodridge, David Thomas, W.R. Pitt, Tom Morgan and Jacob Gabe. Dr D Griffiths had been elected as President and the Vice Presidents were Major Bythway, WJ Buckley and Dr W Griffiths.

In the early 1890's the "Bont" colours were "Green" but some time during the last decade of the 19th Century, the team colours were changed to the now traditional 'Black and Amber'.